Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2 Weeks: The Kids' Room

It's Tuesday!  It's time to tackle the ugly monster in the kids' room.  All my kids share a room, so I only have 1 room to do, and I certainly don't do it alone.  Grab those kids and get in there and help them clean their own room.  Our philosophy around here is, "If you can mess it up, you can clean it up."

We start by cleaning up and putting away all the toys, clothes, shoes, and miscellaneous "stuff" that's cluttering up their room.  My girls do have fantastic bin shelves from Ikea (no, I'm not paid to promote Ikea, I just love it), so cleaning up takes a bit more time than if they just had a toy box, but I love that they can find exactly what they want easily, and without digging and throwing things.

Following the great cleanup, we strip the beds and wash the sheets and pillowcases.  Then we remake the beds with fresh sheets and pillowcases.  One quick secret that I do is that I don't use flat sheets.  Instead, I cover the girls comforters with a duvet, so I can just pull the duvet off and wash it.  This makes it easier for the girls to make their own beds during the week.

After we get the beds taken care of, I usually sweep the floor and vacuum the rug, and we're done.  It's lots of fun if you pop in an obnoxious cd (think Justin Beiber or Hannah Montana) and rock out while you clean your hearts out, and your kids will be more motivated if you offer a reward at the end, like rice krispie treats or a popsicle.

Good Luck...and Have Fun!


Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!