Monday, October 22, 2012

New Look 6936

I made a dress!  Wow, I said I was going to do something and it actually got done.  Right away.  It usually takes me the longest time to get around to anything!
I didn't want to wait for my fabric order to arrive to make a dress.  I need clothes now.  I am anxiously awaiting its arrival, but it hasn't come yet.  So I found a navy and pink striped knit in my stash.  It is a thicker cotton knit (not a double knit, though), not like your typical jersey knit.  I stopped off at JoAnns and picked up New Look 6936.
After reading all of the reviews on PatternReview.com, I figured I would go with view E.  Several people complained of the 8 inches of ease in the bodice, but I figured that would be just fine.  I held the bodice piece up to myself to see if it needed an FBA.  Sure enough, way too short.  I also measured the back pieces to the waist and determined that I needed to shorten it 1 1/2 inches.  After I put it all together I almost wanted to scrap the whole thing, but decided that it was just way to much ease.  I took it in  probably about 8 inches in the bodice and waist, tapering down to nothing a couple inches below the hip.  I shortened the sleeve probably 4 or 5 inches.  That made for a much better silhouette, but I felt the neckline wasn't working for me.  I widened it 2 inches and lowered it about an inch.  What a difference! I definitely prefer this style dress with a belt.
This dress was quick and easy.  I didn't use the instructions, except to see how they put in the elastic, because it is pretty straightforward.
In the end I don't know that it resembles the dress on the pattern cover all that much.  If the girl pictured were to put her arms down I have to wonder if it would look horrible.  I love how my version turned out, but I think the stripes aren't the most flattering.  Still, it is something to wear- and I got plenty of compliments on it.

Not my most flattering picture, but after several months of waiting for a better one to be taken I am just posting this!



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress, I love the contrasting belt.Great fit on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress. I made that dress sometime ago... actually made three of them... quick and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definitely was a quick and easy one.

      Delete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!