Tuesday, November 13, 2012

How I saved my pattern...

So remember in my last post how I told you I had cut my Renfrew pattern too small?  Well that pattern seems to be sold out everywhere right now, and I really, really want to try again for the right size.  So I dug through my trash (ewww, right?) and found all the pieces I had cut with the larger sizes.  They were wadded up inside the extra fabric bits, so it really wasn't all that gross to go through the trash.  I headed to the store and bought some fusible interfacing (the non-woven kind).  I fused the pattern pieces to the interfacing (like Tasia did) and then very carefully set the cut off sizes on the interfacing and fused them in place.  So now I have my full size pattern pieces!  Well, all except for the neck band for view B (the V-neck).  The pieces were so little and I don't think they made it into the same trash can.  No idea where they went.  I think I can fudge that piece though.  Now I just have to find some fabric so I can try again...


9 comments:

  1. Oh, I have so been in your shoes! I no longer cut my patterns, ever!! I trace everything on newsprint. And I never regret the extra step, except when I'm actually tracing it, but then I'm happy I did it when I'm finished:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about tracing it, but then I figured it was fine. That's what I get! Glad I could salvage it, though.

      Delete
  2. Great save! I'm an avid fan of tracing for this reason too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to invest in some paper for tracing patterns. I've traced patterns before, I just wasn't thinking this time.

      Delete
  3. I never would have thought of that. Good save.
    ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am known for dumpster diving for pattern and/or fabric remnants...lol. Now I keep a small garbage can in my room and empty it once I am sure and/or finished with the garment. Really not into tracing, except on rare ocassions. Great save though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sewing room is the only room in our house that doesn't have its own garbage can. I guess I need to change that!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I've done that before as well . . . . . !!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!