Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Simply Lovely dress for Ashley

A few months ago, Go To Patterns was looking for a pattern tester for their smallest women's dress size.  After taking a look at their sizing, I realized this would work perfect for my 12 year old and signed right up!  They sent me the Simply Lovely Dress pattern.

I picked out a stretch woven I've had in the stash for quite some time. I fell in love with the diagonal stripe, but never knew what to do with it.


I think this fabric has a little less drape than the recommended fabrics, but it works.  I would LOVE to make this in a light to mid weight linen!


The instructions were well written. The elastic at the waist was put in a way I never have seen before.  I followed the directions, not sure how it would work, but it did!  The sizing is great! Ashley is quite thin, so I was surprised that a women's pattern would have a size to fit. I did lengthen the dress, as usual.  I will probably do the straps differently the next time I make it, making the underarm binding continue up as the straps, as I think it will sit better on their shoulders.

This pattern is FREE, yes, free. You just have to head over to GoToSew.com and sign up for their newsletter.  The dress was posted there back at the beginning of April, but I believe it is still available.


3 comments:

  1. What a cute dress. Nice job Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like this little sundress! I like that fabric, as well, love stripes, just terrified to sew with them. Plaids/Tartans too. (As we know from my huge disappointment in missing this week's fabric chat. sheeze. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't bother with any stripe matching on this dress. The skirt part is gathered a bit, so even if I lined it up in one spot it wouldn't have been lined up all around. Made it easy for me! It really isn't that hard to match stripes and plaids. I promise. Besides, it's only hard if you think it's hard. :)

      Delete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!