Monday, February 24, 2014

The Gabriola Skirt- New from Sewaholic!!

You guys!! Tasia over at Sewaholic just announced her newest pattern, the Gabriola skirt.  I am not into these knit maxi skirts that are all the rage right now, so when she sent out the call for pattern testers and said it was a maxi skirt I was a little hesitant. Then I figured Ashley would love it, so I went for it. I am so glad she selected me as one of the testers! This skirt is GORGEOUS!!! I have been not so patiently waiting for the release so I could share it with everyone.

This skirt takes quite a bit of fabric. Luckily, I had this gorgeous silk/cotton/lycra blend in my stash (and I bought it twice, so I had about 10 yards of the stuff). This is the fabric that everyone seems to have, and I don't blame everyone for wanting it. I ran the fabric choice by Ashley first, and she approved it joyously.

As with all of the Sewaholic patterns I have sewn, this pattern is well drafted. The yokes on this are wonderful. The seam lines are as well. I love the idea of color blocking it, and the stripes Tasia used are fabulous.

It was a pretty quick project to sew, but cutting the pieces took a bit of time due to the length of the skirt. I hand stitched the hem, as well as hand picking the zipper. 

This skirt can be simple and elegant, or really dressed up. I keep thinking of it in lace with a charmeuse underlining. I'm not about the weight of that with this length, but maybe...



 Don't mind the unvacuumed floor.

Click on the picture to enlarge and see more detail.


Notice the skirt has a center piece and two side pieces. 

The catch stitch is especially great for fabric with some stretch,
 as it stretches a little, too.
 (She has worn this every Sunday so the hem is a bit dirty.)

The hand picked zipper and back yokes.

This is such a great pattern! I will be making it again. I'm hoping to make one for myself, and I'm pretty sure Ashley wants a few more. I think when my sister sees this one, she will want one, too. It would be perfect for someone in an orchestra who needs a black skirt, especially a cellist. (I played the cello, so I understand this need.)


10 comments:

  1. It's so much more than just a maxi skirt. What a gorgeous flow it has. I am very tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is fabulous! I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah-ha! I was just discussing this pattern earlier. I love the yoke-ish section with the zig zag seamlines. I'm not a big maxi skirt wearer either, but I do like this one. Nice fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! It looks great on her, too. Funny that you mention the orchestra thing-- I was thinking that a black one might not be a bad thing to have on hand, though skirt fullness isn't such a factor when you play the flute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the skirt based on what I saw on Tasia's blog, but it's good to see it reinforced by others. It looks really nice on Ashley, very appropriate for her age and if she's worn it every Sunday, I guess it's a sign of a keeper. I like the drama of longer skirts, but I like that there seems to be shape and movement to this one, not just a long tube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one very lovely and expensive skirt with all that wonderful handstitching! I don't know that I would have bothered with handwork on a knit but gosh it's pretty! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! It is actually a woven with Lycra, so not such a waste. I have lots of free time at night when we watch tv that is perfect for hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I agree that the shape and movement is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Yeah, cello is one of the few that need a full skirt. The flute, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is lovely. Makes me rethink maxi skirts in general, although I won't be wearing a knit tube style maxi.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!