Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A new bag

I bought this pattern quite a while back.  It wasn't really my style.  My love of all things Amy Butler dictated that I must buy it.  (Crazy, I know!)  I decided to make it for a friend.  It was quite easy.  Tons of ironing interfacing- but I am used to that, having made many an Amy Butler bag in the past.  The hardest part of this pattern is sewing the strap to the band, and the bands to the main body of the bag.  This is because of the curves.  I countered this by using a stay stitch and then clipping before sewing it together.   It is a great bag for someone who is starting out.  I highly recommend it!




This is the first one I made.  It was for Marianne's birthday.  Kristin offered to take it if Marianne didn't like it.  Unfortunately for Kristin, she did like!  The fabric I used was Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane.

It has been a few months now.  I planned to make a bag for my sister, but somehow the instructions got lost in our move to the desert.  I decided to make a bag for myself to be sure I knew how to put it together before starting her bag.  I only made a few mistakes on this one.  Sure am glad I made this one first! I used Amy Butler's Midwest Modern and Midwest Modern 2 fabrics for this bag.

This is the bag for my sister.  I used Heather Bailey's Pop Garden fabrics for it. I am excited to take it to her next week.  She is getting married!  I can hardly wait.  I am going to be making some goodies to dress up her kitchen.  I will post those after the wedding.



So if you like a nice big bag, this is a great one!  It is easy to make, and even easier to wear.  You will end up with plenty of scraps for more projects.  Large scraps!

Many people use it as a diaper bag as well.


**** This makes a great personal item when traveling via airplane.  With new restrictions on checked baggage, it is nice to have a LARGE "personal item" or purse.****


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I have been coveting that bag ever since you made it for Marianne. I might just have to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, you should make one. It really isn't a difficult pattern. If you buy designer fabrics (which generally run about $10/yd), I'd say the bag will cost $40-50. It calls for 1 1/8 yds of 3 different fabrics, 3 1/2 yds of fusible interfacing, and 1/2 yard of fusible fleece. I like to buy interfacing at JoAnns with a coupon. It really helps because it gets expensive. I try to buy it when it goes on sale (50% off) but it can be hard to find in stock with those prices! I have a nice stash of the fusible fleece and peltex for bag making. You can also cut the cost if there are fabrics at JoAnns that you like!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!