I have been meaning to make one for Drew. I have some T-shirts around here that would be perfect for it. I prefer onesies for my little guy at this point, though. So I decided to go for it. I ran over to D.I.- yes, they have one or two of those around here- and found a couple T-shirts. I made the first one this morning. It took me about 90 minutes total. I made some mistakes and had to redo a few things, so I think it will take even less time the next go round.
So here is how mine turned out:
I bought a onesie at D.I. so that I could cut it up and use it as a pattern (I don't have any extra onesies at home I can use). It worked out pretty well except that the onesie was a very stretchy knit and the T-shirt I used isn't quite so stretchy. Add that to the fact that I use cloth diapers, and the it ends up being a bit more snug around the bum than I like. So the next one will get cut a bit wider at the bottom - hopefully that will solve the problem! I plan to take pictures on the next one so that you can see how the bottom of the onesie is done.
If you are apprehensive about sewing with knits, DO NOT WORRY. It really was easy. I didn't use my serger because I need to find the tool used to remove the needle as it seems to have disappeared. I just used a .5 width zigzag with a 3.0 length stitch on my regular machine and it worked great for finishing the neck and leg edges. It was SO easy. Go over to
and get started!



CUTE!!! That is such a cute idea. Laura you are so crafty... happy sewing. ;o)
ReplyDeleteI just saw your link on the MADE site. Your onesie turned out super cute!
ReplyDelete