Friday, January 3, 2014

Ready To Wear Fast 2014



Once again I have joined Sarah's RTW Fast group! Last time around, I had great plans. I didn't make quite as much as I had planned, but it did help me to get past some hurdles. As I mentioned in a previous post, I made jeans! I learned many things during that fast as well.

This year, I have a few things I hope to accomplish. I don't like goal setting, so these aren't really goals, just thoughts.

I want to practice slow sewing. I've raced through sewing things just to get them done in the past. Over the last year I have been better at taking my time. I want to improve even more and really hone my skills. This year I am going to really work on it, with my reward being a class with Susan Khalje in 2015. (I hope!!)

I have the main fashion fabric for my French style jacket, this book by Claire Shaeffer, and the desire. I just need the lining and trim. I hope to make it this year.

I need to perfect my jeans. They came together just fine, but the zipper insertion wasn't quite right (you can see the zipper), so I need to figure that one out. It was my first fly zip, so I'm okay with it this time. The fit isn't quite right, so that is my real challenge for this year. I want a good fit. I've never had that before in pants.

I would like to make a fitted button-down blouse. I made the Grainline Archer and love it, but I would like one that is more fitted. I have the pattern. I planned to make it last year. I will do it this year!

One last thing that I would like to do this year- start sewing more of my children's clothes. I have been doing pretty well with this for my oldest, but not my younger children. If I can perfect my fly zip insertion, making pants for them should be no problem. Pants are my main holdup in sewing all of their clothes- which is my ultimate goal one day.

Here's to a great year!



6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh yes. Making pants is something that's blocking my sewing completely too! I plan to sew a little more as well. I'll be back here for some inspiration ;-) Have a great year! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Do you have a blog? I'd love to read it, if I don't already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most definitely RTW Fasting has done wonders for my sewing. I also tackled pants for the first time, and still have a lot to learn about getting the fit better. Looking forward to sharing another year of fasting with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you are fasting this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried not to buy any RTW in 2013 - sort of my anti-fast-fashion statement. I did buy a couple things - a turtleneck and then a couple vintage things (coat and hats). I will definitely try a RTW Fast this year.


    Great idea to reward yourself with a Susan Khalje class! I think I'd like to reward myself with a hat-making class. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hat making class would be so fun! I have wanted to try my hand at millinery, but have no idea where to start. I love seeing the ones you make.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for commenting!